Cuneo, Fossano, Borgo San Dalmazzo, Mondovì
The triangular-shaped city
Founded at the end of the 12th century, the city of Cuneo is perhaps the only one having a name that perfectly matches its shape: flanked by the waters of the Gesso and Stura rivers, it stretches between the plain and the striking backdrop of the Alpine arc. Its historical centre has recently undergone major renovation works, which today allow us to fully appreciate its medieval layout characterised by picturesque narrow streets branching off from the wide Contrada Maestra, long porticoes and elegant palaces with decorated façades. Cuneo’s three museums and numerous Baroque churches tell the history of the town and its the area from the prehistoric times to the more recent ones and hold precious treasures of art and archaeology. In Cuneo there is plenty of space for open-air walks along the River Park (Parco fluviale) and the Angels’ Boulevard (Viale degli Angeli) as well as numerous opportunities to enjoy food and wine delights in the elegant Galimberti Square.
Borgo San Dalmazzo
At the foot of the Alps
At the time of the Romans Cuneo did not exist yet, but a very important centre for the control of this territory stood in this place: Pedona. Found at the confluence of three important valleys (Vermenagna, Gesso and Stura), the settlement flourished thanks to commercial traffic with Gaul. From the 3rd century A.D. Christianity spread thanks to the preaching of Saint Dalmazzo, who according to tradition, was martyred with his companions on 5th December 254 and buried here. Devotion to Dalmazzo led to the construction of several buildings, including the local church with its Romanesque crypt. The Abbey Museum, set up behind the parish church, recounts this important chapter in the ancient history of this area. A walk through the old town centre will lead you to the railway station, a protagonist of recent history. The touching Deportation Memorial and the Memo 43 45 space tell the story of the over 300 people, who were detained in the Borgo San Dalmazzo concentration camp and then deported to Auschwitz.
The town with many souls
Mondovì is a town with many souls: founded around 1198, it still preserves its characteristic neighbourhoods which are very different among them. A stroll through the districts of Breo is particularly pleasant, with their façades dotted with sundials, cosy little squares, shops and the ancient automaton of the 'Moro' that strikes the hours. Thanks to the funicular railway, inaugurated in 1886, you can easily reach the upper part of the town: the ascent is comfortable and fast and it also offers a breathtaking panorama thanks to the carriages designed in 2006 by Giugiaro. Mondovi's most important buildings overlook the large Maggiore Square: the church of San Francesco Saverio, decorated with Andrea Pozzo's amazing paintings, the old town hall, the Museum of Ceramics and the Governor's Palace. A short walk leads to the Belvedere, dominated by the town's ancient landmark tower. Nearby, the sanctuary of Vicoforte, with the world's largest elliptical masonry dome, and the church of San Fiorenzo, decorated with more than 300 square metres of 15th-century frescoes, are not to be missed a visit.
The charm of the past
The town of Fossano was founded before the middle of the 13th century and its origins can still be seen in numerous views of its old town centre, but most of all in its majestic castle. Built in the 14th century by the Acaja family to sanction the dedication of the Fossanesi, it was later transformed by the Savoy into a residential palace, rich in elegant and precious decorations. The first nucleus of the town developed around the cathedral dedicated to Santa Maria and San Giovenale, the patron saint of Fossano. The imposing bell tower dates back to medieval times, and was later modified by Giovenale Boetto in 1666 adding the beautiful octagonal belfry. In 1778, works began to dismantle the old cathedral, in order to proceed with the construction of the new neoclassical church designed by architect Mario Ludovico Quarini. After the splendours of the Middle Ages, the entire town experienced a new and prestigious rebirth in the Baroque era, to which the main churches with their wavy volumes and airy, brilliant decorations in the town’s centre belong.
Direction: Paolo Ansaldi
Post-Production: VDEA Produzioni
Translation: Europa 92
Copywrite and research: Laura Marino
ATL del Cuneese